NYC Song Of The Week “Paper Planes” – M.I.A.
Yeah fine, M.I.A.’s Asian from England and Afrikan Boy’s from…well, you can guess that one. None of that matters, because that’s what it means to be a New Yorker, a Brooklynite- it’s a worldwide affair. Besides, the opening scene is of this video is the Brooklyn Bridge, you can’t get more New York than that.
I learned from my international homie, Fari B, that a “plane,” in India/ Central Asia, is a person that smokes a lot of weed all day (they call them “chimneys” in St. Kitts, right Jo.) They call’em Redman in Brick City.
That made the line click even more in my head, “I fly like paper, get high like planes/ If you catch me at the border, I got visas in my name.” That’s “Jigga Lyricism” right there. All Roads Lead To Bk.
I can name like 7 reasons why I love this song (+video) right now:
- The cash register sound reminds me of Pink Floyd’s “Money“
- The Cool Kids really do walk down the streets like that.
- Afrikan Boy, at the grill, is hilarious (listen to the remix with him and 50 Cent.)
- I didn’t need Pineapple Express or Wayne’s swagga to put me on to this one.
- Gun Shots in the chorus: So M.I.A.
- I can totally picture M.I.A. running up on someone, pistol-whipping them and stealing their rope chain.
- IT’S BROOKLYN!!